So you finally got relaxers off your back, out of your wallet, and out of your precious mane. You have reduced the use of flat irons(affiliate link) and have really started loving your curls and kinks. You have accepted yourself as a naturalista and you are enjoying every moment of it.
Now that more and more women are making the decision to have natural hair, it seems that having natural hair is the topic of many discussions weekly and maybe sometimes even daily. Not only does natural hair attract unwanted strangers to touch and pull it, but crazy questions are asked and unnecessary comments are given without solicitation almost as if we have no feelings or emotions.
Personally, it’s not just strangers at the market giving sarcastic remarks about natural hair or even coworkers whispering to another in a business meeting, “I can’t see the prompter because of Christina’s big hair.” Unfortunately, family members would throw in their two cents about how they ‘feel’ about natural hair as well.
Have you ever had your mother with a relaxer say to you, “Wow, your hair is shape like a hat or is that a hat?” I mean really mother? Really? You would think that you would have the support of your family members, but sometimes it just doesn’t work out the way you planned it and people are just plain insensitive.
I mean if you don’t have anything nice to say, just don’t say it! I think there needs to be an etiquette class for those who don’t know how to act around a woman with natural hair: Don’t say these things to a woman with natural hair!
Now the following comments are based on my own experiences that I just thought I share, but I’m sure you may have heard one or maybe even ten of these:
1. For those who just went natural…”But, but you looked so pretty before…”
2. “Wow, you can do a lot of styles with that type of hair, huh?”
3. “Are you giving up flat irons(affiliate link) too?”
4. “Girl, I don’t think I could go natural…it’s not for me.”
5. “Of course you can go natural…you have that ‘good’ grade of hair.”
6. “Is this what you were trying to go for?”
7. While coming at you with their hands, “I want to touch it…can I touch it?”
8. “Are you going to church like THAT?”
9. “Okay? But I think you would look cute with…”
Originally posted 2014-10-18 15:00:02.