10. “What is THAT on your head? A wig*? A hat?”
11. “My hair won’t grow like that…I just can’t go natural.”
12.”Is your favorite song, ‘I Am Not My Hair?'”
13. “OMG! Your hair stretches! Like it ‘boings’ and ‘stretches’!”
14. “I know you have Indian in your family. Or at least something Latina.”
15. “Are you going against the Eurocentric status of what beauty is?”
16. “Why do you always wear your hair in THAT bun?”
17. “You only wash your hair once a week?! That is so disgusting!”
18. “What does your man think? My boo wouldn’t like that.”
19. “I understand. My wavy hair gives me hard times too…”
20. “So what political statement are you sending?”
How to Handle these Comments
1. Don’t take it to heart – Some people really ask silly questions or give weird comments because they truly don’t know about our hair. Give them the benefit of doubt. Others, who are just mean and rude, just tell them, “What? Grow some edges!”…Nah, just kidding ha! Just take the high road and walk away from that mess.
2. Take the time to educate – This could be an opportunity to help others with their hair journey, clear up some things about natural hair (i.e. political status, what ‘beauty’ is, etc.), and inform them that all naturalistas are not the same.
If you don’t mind others touching your hair, let them feel a curl to clear up what they think your hair feels like (brillo pad, pubic hair, bear hair, etc.). If you are not into others getting close to your hair, let them know why you chose to be a naturalista. Whether it was for healthy hair, against chemicals completely, you did it by accident, or you have always loved natural hair, let them know that your hair is your decision.
3. If all else fails, strut your locks – If you have tried to explain to others about the beauty of your natural hair and they choose not to listen, just whip your hair in their face and keep on strutting. You don’t have to explain your decisions about your hair, especially if they are continuously being sarcastic and rude about your it. That’s one person out of millions of people on this Earth. On to the next one!
Some of these comments are pretty hilarious and some are just out-out-of-this-world ridiculous. But whatever is said about your hair that is negative, please try not to care, you know whats up, so just keep it moving.
I’m sure there are a lot more un-nerving and rude things that family, friends, coworkers, and strangers on the street will say about your hair. We all have our own unique experiences as we blaze along our own natural hair journeys. Flaunt your hair hunny and keep loving your own natural tresses.