If you do the sink test, you will be well aware of how many broken hairs you get every time you manipulate it. Avoiding daily manipulation then should be your number 1 priority in your efforts to retaining length.
This is where the humble ponytail comes in. With a ‘ponytail regimen’ you can put your combs and brushes away between wash days while still wearing a cute style that shows off the length that you have worked so hard to achieve. Here’s how you do it:
1. Wash and flat iron(affiliate link) or just stretch blow dry at the weekend. Afterwards, I put my combs far away from damaging hands!
2. Wear your hair down for one or two days, finger styling only.
3. Hair goes into a ponytail (not too tight) on the third day. Accessorize with fancy clips.
4. Moisturize and seal the ends nightly with the use of a soft BBB only.
5. Cover with a silk scarf(affiliate link) to bed.
6. Retie the ponytail in the morning which will loosen during the night, you don’t need a comb for this either. A little light brushing of your edges with the soft BBB is permitted.
8. Repeat for the rest of the week!
This regimen is simple but very effective at length retention and there are countless ways that you can style and accessorize a ponytail so that you will never be bored.
I am natural but as you see, most of my ponytails were on blow dried/flat ironed hair but the same regimen will work justs as well on non heat stretched natural hair. Here are some of my pony’s in the last few months.
And if you want even more ideas, this girl is seriously creative with simple ponytails so check out her channel:
Please note, ponytails are more a low manipulation style rather than a protective style. Depending on your length, the hair could still rub against your clothes and if you wear wool or rough cotton often then these fabrics could catch your hair strands and cause breakage.
Originally posted 2012-03-15 19:00:03.