Get silky relaxed hair with or without flat ironing and smooth natural hair with low heat
Silk wrapping your hair is a relatively new technique of wrapping your hair while dry with a bit of moisturizer and shine spray and sitting under a hooded dryer*. The purpose of this treatment is to give relaxed hair the ‘flat ironed and silky’ look without the heat trauma involved. For natural hair that has been pressed, the treatment will serve the same purpose with the added benefit of reducing the volume of the hair for a ‘flatter’ look.
Silk wrapping on relaxed hair can be done straight after roller setting to smooth the hair out. For natural hair that has been lightly pressed so that it is at the ‘kinky* straight’ stage, a silk wrap will not give the relaxer straight look but will reduce the bulk of the hair for a flatter look while giving your hair a silky smooth feel. For natural hair that has been straightened smooth, a silk wrap can be used after a week or so to refresh the press to allow it to last longer.
See this excellent video of a silk wrap on natural hair.
And here is the process on relaxed hair:
For those of you who would rather not watch a video, here are the written instructions on how to do a silk wrap:
• Take a dime sized amount of your moisturizer (preferably something light) and rub your hands. Apply to your hair concentrating on the ends and use a comb to smooth through your strands.
• Brush your hair into a smooth wrap trying not to use any pins as they will create creases in the finished look. If desired, spray your hair lightly with an oil sheen spray.
• Apply the saran wrap (cling film) over the hair quite firmly ensuring you cover the top of your head as well.
• Sit under a moderate to hot dryer for 10-20 minutes
• Remove the saran wrap and comb out the wrap.
• Silky smooth locks are yours!
If done correctly natural hair will not revert with the silk wrap treatment but instead the hair will be smoother.
Originally posted 2010-05-15 01:18:03.