One of the most valuable techniques to learn while on a hair journey is: air drying but it can also be on of the most difficult to master.
As most relaxed ladies do before starting a healthy hair journey, they dry their hair using heat. For many the thought of doing it otherwise can be a little unnerving but we give it a try as we all want long, healthy hair right?
For the many who are brave and give it a try, some if not most of us fail the first time round and some many have repeated failures which leads to some of us quitting. The truth is.. Air drying is a process of trial and error. So don’t be disheartened if you dont quite get it right the first time. To help speed up your trial and error period here are a few tips on having a successful air drying session.
1. Ensure after you wash, you rinse your hair with cold water. This closes your hair cuticles and helps to prevent frizz.
2. Ensure to detangle your hair well both in the shower and outside. (Use a wide tooth comb)
3. Do NOT use excess leave ins as this may cause your hair to form clumps. Just give your hair the correct amount it needs.
4. Try to soak up any excess water in your hair using either the T-Shirt Method or a Turbie Twist. Do NOT rub your hair but towel blot to prevent tangles.
5. For those who are not afraid of using cones… applying some hair serum lightly to coat your damp hair also helps to prevent frizz and leaves you with smooth hair.
6. Finger comb your hair as it dries for a fuller fluffier look. Your hair will also dry much faster.
7. If you want very smooth results, start with very wet detangled hair and don’t touch it as it dries. Your hair will take longer to dry but you will be left with very smooth results and your hair won’t require much styling afterwards.
7. If your in a hurry and need to get your hair dried quickly you can comb your hair down and sit under a hooded dryer for a few minutes to speed up the process but please use a heat protectant.
Hope you find these tips helpful! Happy Hair Growing!
Originally posted 2012-09-26 19:00:44.