First, make the Flaxseed gel. You will need:
1/4 cup flaxseeds (whole or ground)
2 cups of water
I have made this recipe with both whole and ground flaxseeds and honestly apart from the cloudy appearance of the gel that the ground flaxseeds produces, there isn’t much difference in performance or longevity. Just use whichever you happen to have on hand.
Place the flaxseeds and water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil until thickened then strain through a nut milk bag or stocking. Here’s a video of the Naptural85 making the flaxseed gel for your viewing pleasure:
Depending on how well you squeeze the gel through your mesh, your yield should be about 1 cup of gel.
Here’s how to make the Caramel Treatment Reloaded:
You will need:
1 cup of flaxseed gel
3 tablespoons of honey
1 ½ tablespoons of molasses (treacle)
½ tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons of cornstarch
A few drops of your favorite essential oil
½ teaspoon of hydrolyzed protein (optional)
• Place all ingredients in a blender except the essential oil and blend on full power until they are all combined. You will have a thin looking caramel ‘sauce’.
• Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat while constantly stirring on a medium heat to avoid lumps forming. The mixture should thicken to a thick batter in a couple of minutes. If you happen to get any lumps just pass the mix through a mesh strainer.
• Add your essential oil and stir.
• Pour into a suitable container, mine fit comfortably into an old conditioner jar.
• Refrigerate until needed.
To use the treatment:
After shampooing, apply the treatment to your hair in sections from root to tip.
Originally posted 2013-01-09 15:00:33.