Jenelle aka BlakIzbeautyful on YouTube has been sporting the cutest tapered cut on her natural hair lately and in this video she demonstrates how she does her wash and go.
Wash and go’s are a special kind of hair style for a number of reasons. But one major reason is you never really wash and then go immediately after; I don’t care if your hair 1A, there is some kind of in-between styling to attend to before you actually ‘go’!
What makes a wash and go work for kinkier textures is the technique and the products. We liked this video because she demonstrates how she defines her curls using a Denman brush* allowing the product to really work for her strands giving her the look she wanted. If you like a less defined look then it means using fewer products and manipulating the hair less will work well for you.
Ideally you want your wash and go to last a few days so with that said setting the foundation is very important, we like that she mentioned cleansing your hair properly especially if you use a lot of styling product.
There is nothing worse than adding fresh product to old gunk, so if you have to clarify then do that but you must cleanse your hair. Then if you plan to keep the hair going for a couple of days make sure you moisturize and seal your hair well.
One way is to deep condition because it really helps with making sure your strands are full of what they need to last for the time you need the style to last. Here is a simple list you can follow when doing a wash and go:
1. Clean your hair thoroughly, either by using shampoo or a cleansing conditioner.
2. Moisturize and seal your hair with products that work well with your styler. Read this post on how to avoid flaking and white balls when mixing products.
3. Use your styler on fully wet hair, so keep a water bottle handy.
4. Use a Denman brush* to smooth your product and clump your curls, especially if you have a kinkier texture that does not clump easily. Curl clumps help to keep the hair somewhat separated so pieces of hair are not tempted to twist around each other causing knots.
5. Allow your hair to air dry untouched or you can choose to use a diffuser* to get your hair dried faster.
See the video from BlakIzBeautyful below: