I gotta say after watching the below video Dr. Nina aka BeautifulBrwnBabyDol seriously has me ready to go out and get some of that hair she used for her twists and its 12.16AM.
I am not an extensions kind of girl, but for a while I have been really looking for a solution for my hair that does not require that I touch it daily. We have recently launched our protective styling challenge here on BHI so this came right on time for those struggling on styling ideas.
Nina’s hair is light comfortable and absolutely gorgeous. For the tutorial and if you want more tips, and some pros and cons watch the video below.
Here are five random tips for those wearing or twist or braid extensions
1. If you are relaxed it is better if you wait two weeks after a fresh relaxer because your hair is still very sensitive and weak after the chemical process. Give yourself some time, to strengthen your hair using protein and hot oil treatments, whatever it takes to keep your strands strong enough to withstand braids or twists.
2. You can absolute do the Green House Effect on braid and twist extensions, it helps your hair to retain moisture, and contributes to the over all health of your hair and may just increase the hair growth rate.
3. Human hair extensions hold more moisture and synthetic hair extensions strip the hair of moisture so it is important that your hair is very moisturized if wearing synthetic hair, every day being the ideal.
4. Spritz your hair to maintain moisture levels, and don’t be afraid to make your own mix. Water and your favorite oils would work, just try your own formulation that works well for your hair. Alternatively try these two recipes that work great at both moisturizing and strengthening your hair.
5. Protective styles are not permanent, if you leave them in too long things start to get counter productive to your length goals. So for twists or braid extensions a great rule of thumb is keeping them in for two months maximum and at least 3 weeks to get length retention benefits. After you take your extensions out, wash and condition your hair thoroughly.
What do you ladies think?