7. Never cut a boy child’s hair before age one or:
►It won’t grow.
►It will be kinky* and nappy.
►It will make the child weak.
8. After you cut your hair, if you place a lock in the Bible; it will grow back faster.
9. It’s bad luck for a woman to cut a man’s hair, especially if she’s menstruating.
10. If you want your hair to grow back, only cut it when there is a full moon.
11. If you get gray hair when you’re young, it means you were a good baby.
12. If you get gray hair when you’re young, it means you will have a lot of money when you are old.
Like I said, some of these are “understandable” in terms of why people would do them, but others like numbers 1, 2, 6, and 10 are really wild! Now I have heard number 4 from older folks saying that if your stylist is busy, just wait until he/she has an opening.
I definitely feel this one, but I’m not superstitious about it. Sure, I have a bond with my current stylist because she knows my hair and how to effectively do it. But going to someone new, because their chair is open, can be a real problem if she has not done your hair nor your type of hair before.
I have heard number 7 saying that cutting a boy’s hair before the age of 1 would cause his hair to be kinky* and nappy. Heard this one as well but cutting a boy’s hair before the age of 1 does not create the effect that his hair will be nappy.
From birth to one, a baby’s hair texture changes from thin and wispy to thick and full. The baby’s hair will change whether you cut it or not, to take on its true texture.
When going through this list of hair superstitions of Hair Story, there were others I began to remember personally. I can remember a few that I have heard elderly people say, or that I have heard at my former salon. Check out my list:
After you cut your hair, place a strand in the Bible for good luck and protection.
Now for number 8 in Hair Story, I have not heard that when you cut your hair and put it in the Bible it will grow back faster. However, I have seen an older woman at my church that actually had her locks in the Bible, so I asked her about it. She told me: “God will grant me protection as long as I keep my hair in this here Bible…” I was speechless, so I left it alone.
Originally posted 2014-09-15 15:00:24.