News channel WREG of Memphis Tennessee is warning us against DIY hairstyles. We all know how important DIY is to us, most of us at one time or another has done something our own hair at home to avoid the cost of going to a stylist.
The thing that sparked the warning was a Mid-South mother who shared pictures of her daughter’s injury from enduring second degree burns when she accidentally burned her while trying to style her braided hair.
The child’s hair was braided using extensions(affiliate link). When her mom dipped the ends in hot water to finish the style, the steam from the water startled the girl.
The child jumped and her mom accidentally spilled the hot water on her little girl after which the child was immediately rushed to the hospital and treated.
Many of us are re thinking DIY to the extent of getting a bit smarter with it, rather than doing away with it all together.
The truth is, accidents can happen anywhere so even in the salon we have to be very careful on how much care is being given to our installs.
According to Wreg.com
Two New York women sued some African braiding shops after they claim they suffered severe burns while having their hair dipped in hot water.
Tennessee’s Board of Cosmetology couldn’t tell WREG whether it had complaints specifically related to hot water burns, but did reiterate even hair braiders need a state license.
As mentioned, there are safe ways of curling the hair that might not involve hot water, for example using a flat iron(affiliate link) that is safe for curling synthetic hair.
Another suggestion would be to pre curl the hair in hot water prior to install depending on the style you want. This is particularly important if your are braiding a child’s hair who cannot be reasonably expected to sit still. Let’s be safe with these installs ladies.
Check out their video: