Mary Jane, Mary Jane! Gabriel Union took to Instagram yesterday and posted a picture of the back of her hair without her usual gorgeous weave. She had the caption:
Ladies.. You can achieve hair growth…With a weave! this is alllll mine, no clips, no extensions*, hadn’t even been pressed..And it got this healthy thick length from responsibly wearing weaves* #weaveandflowletitgrow”.
I like to look at the comments on these pictures just to see what the pulse of the viewership is like. For Gabrielle the feelings were mixed, there were the usual “let me applaud her for her progress” commenters, guys who love her regardless of what she does, and then there were the ones that called her irresponsible for encouraging weaves* as a solution to hair growth.
Well my opinion is pretty simple, if it works for you then have at it! But we still want to look at the pros and cons of wearing a weave and why opinions are so split.
1. Protective style – Your hair is hidden, tucked away and not touched for reasonable periods of time, not only is this prerequisite for retention it can be healthy too.
2. You can switch your style up without damaging your real hair – Wanna go blonde for a while? Buy some and try something new, it’s easy and your hair is not chemically changed.
3. Low maintenance – This depends on the type of weave that you have, some do not require a lot of product or manipulation to look great, so you can literally have it easy when it comes to maintaining the hair.
1. Stress on your edges – We are glad Gabby used the word ‘responsibly’ because weaves can be the number one cause of traction alopecia and hair loss if you are not careful.
2. Hair care neglect – Your actual hair can suffer if you are not careful about not wearing your weave forever and a day and not doing one ounce of maintenance to keep your own hair healthy.
3. Budget – Most of us don’t like looking ratchet and we like our weave to look as natural as possible, this means you better be ready to spend a little bit of change. Quality weaves cost! Not to mention finding a quality beautician to make it all happen.
What side are you on? Weave or no weave?