Standard buns are great to wear every day, if you are a grandmother or work in a prison. But for the rest of society, a bun is a go to style when you don’t know what to do with your hair. True isn’t it?
On the one hand we know that we should make more of an effort with our protective low manipulation hairstyles but on the other hand we want to flaunt our healthy growing locks for the world to see.
Happily there is are ways to wear a bun while still looking fabulous. Below is are the steps on how to achieve a simple bun with braid detail. I have only tried this style with straight hair but it would also look fabulous on natural hair too (stretched of course).
1. As always start with freshly washed hair. Make a parting either in the middle or to the side
2. Leave some strands out at the front (optional) and curl them to create soft tendrils to frame your face.
3. Braid one side starting from the front picking up hair until you get to your ear. Braid the rest of the hair down close to the ends without picking up any more hair. Use a hair band to secure if necessary
4. Repeat the same process on the other side of your head
5. Tie all your hair including the two braided ends into a loose medium high or low ponytail.
6. Using your fingers create a hole at the top of your ponytail
7. Wrap your loose hair into a bun of sorts and tuck it carefully into the hole that you have created which should give you a bun.
8. Accessorize with flower clips of your choice for the finished look. This style keeps pretty well for a week, just wrap your loose hair in flexi rods* and tie with a satin scarf overnight! Use a BBB to brush any wayward strands back into place in the morning if necessary.
Youtuber Bebexo has a similar version of this style, watch the video tutorial below. You probably won’t be able to learn much from her haircare wise for obvious reasons but her youtube channel is great if you want hairstyle ideas!
Originally posted 2012-04-16 19:00:21.