There is an old wives tale that hair grows faster in the summer. A few leaders in the beauty industry debunked this myth years ago but still it persists. The reason why your hair would seem to grow faster in the summer is because we tend to increase our intake of fresh fruits and vegetables in the warmer months when they are readily available. This increase the nutrient density of our diet hence making our hair grow faster.
This fact notwithstanding, summer is a great time for a protective styling challenge if for nothing else, to escape the humidity. If you are natural, many styles you try now will be destined to turn into a huge mass of frizz way to quickly.
And don’t imagine that relaxed ladies are not subject to the monster that is humidity either. You will find that your sets don’t last as long as you fall prey to the straight-frizzy hair phenomenon.
If you haven’t yet read the The Staggered Protective Styling Regimen then I strongly suggest that you read it first before you begin the challenge as it will give you an idea of how to formulate the perfect protective styling regimen for you. Of course you are free to choose whatever period you would like to protective style your hair for.
If you feel like going 6 weeks then by all means do so, but don’t be a hero; if you get bored of your style after week 3 just take it down and reset your hunger for protective styling and length retention with a cheat/rest week. I have found that these cheat weeks are the only way that I am able to push through months of protective styling without getting bored.
What will you gain by joining the challenge?
In one word: Length. The mystery of length retention and how ladies are managing to grow their hair to super long lengths will finally be opened to you. Like they say, it’s easy once you know how!
You will of course also get the benefit of knowing that you are not alone in the challenge because I will be joining in the challenge as well and will answer any questions you may have no matter how simple or silly you think they are!
As a final bonus, anybody who joins in with the challenge will be entered into the giveaway to win one of the prizes below. The prizes will be awarded to the lady with the most inspirational or best length retention in the period of the challenge.
1.The challenge will last for just over 3 months from July 28th 2013 ending on November 3rd 2013. Registration will be open from July 28th to August 11th. If you are not already in a protective style, please install it as soon as you can but before registration closes.
2. You must take a starting picture to track the change in your length. Acceptable ways to track your length is using body milestones (Ear length, shoulder length, arm pit length, bra strap length etc). You can also use a length check t-shirt to track your progress which will be more accurate. If you are already in a protective style we can accept a photo after you take the style down.
You don’t have to share your picture in order to join in the challenge, you just won’t be eligible to win the giveaway 🙁
3. You must keep your hair in a protective style for at least 3 consecutive weeks at a time in each month but you can change your protective styles from month to month.
4. You must wash your hair weekly or at the very least every two weeks for the duration of the challenge. Keeping your hair’s moisture in check while protective styling is what will allow you keep the length that you grow.
5. No trims for the duration of the challenge. You can trim right before or straight after the challenge is over if you wish.
1st Prize – Ouidad Ultimate Frizz Fighting Trio
3rd Prize – Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk 4-Piece Starter Kit
How to enter:
All you need to do is leave a comment here answering the following:
1. How long is your hair? Include a picture now or you can attach your picture at a later date.
2. What is your ultimate length goal?
3. What protective style will you be choosing?
4. What products will you be using to maintain your hair while protected?
5. Check in every week via comments to let us know how your hair is doing, what challenges you are facing etc. You will get a weekly reminder via our newsletter and this post will be bumped to the top of our recent posts in the sidebar so you will easily be able to find it. Subscribe to our newsletter now if you haven’t already.
Who can enter the challenge?
Anyone can enter the challenge relaxed or natural and wherever in the world you happen to live. Please note that in order to win a prize you must be either in the UK or US. An Amazon gift voucher will be provided in the event that the product is not available. If you happen to be outside of the US or UK you can still join in the hair growing fun, you just won’t be able to win a prize.
How will the winners be chosen?
Since the results are objective, the winners will be chosen both by myself & Petra at the end of the challenge.
Do I need to have long hair?
No, the purpose of the challenge is to grow your hair long so anyone can join regardless of starting length.
What if I have slow growing hair?
The winner will be chosen based the most inspirational or best length retention so even a slow grower can win.
How do I upload a picture?
Just click the icon on the bottom left of the comments box, select your picture and hit open/upload.
Where can I learn more about protective styling?
We have a variety of articles that will help you pick the best protective style for you and teach you how to care for your hair while in the protective style:
If you have any further questions please ask them in the comments.
Good luck and happy growing!