Us 4C naturals can have the toughest time learning how best to care for our coils and kinks because our hair is the most compacted texture and we are the queens of shrinkage, hello!
With shrinkage our hair is prone to tangles and on wash day things get 10 times worse. Here is the best way to cleanse your 4C hair so that you can avoid tangles.
Start with a Prepoo
Pre-pooing is amazing because it protects your hair from harsh shampoo that can strip your scalp and hair. It also aids in controlling the expanding and contracting of the hair strand (hygral fatigue) and protects the cuticle from chipping. Use penetrating oils(affiliate link) on your hair prior to cleansing and the oil of choice can be left on the hair for 2-24 hours.
Learn proper cleansing techniques
Now that we have set our natural hair up for wash day lets get into details on how best to cleanse 4c hair.
- Have hair in 3-5 sections. Tip: If you know you have a tendency to neglect your crown (middle part of your head) have this be a section on it own.
- If you have hair that is prone to tangles keep the hair in each section in a loose braid or twist.
- Using your fingers cleanse your scalp, not your hair . (Start from the scalp, not from your ends.)
- Move fingers in a downward motion. Not up and down or circular. (if using the scalp massager its the same motion go downward)
- After each section is clean rinse with lukewarm water.
- Deep condition!
It is important to note that any product that is meant to cleanse (shampoo, mud wash, cleansing conditioner) should be focused on your scalp. Likewise, products meant to moisturize or hydrate should be used on the hair and focused on the oldest parts of the hair.
Need a demonstration? Watch below: