4. Opt for roller setting your hair and sit under a hooded dryer (if you have one) instead of blow drying your natural hair.
This might make your wash day longer because it is an additional step but you will be happy with the bouncy straighten results you will have later.
Blow dryers can blow the moisture right out right out of your hair, leaving you with dry hair to then be flat ironed. Also direct heat from a blow dryer and flatiron in one day can be a bit much – so try roller setting.
5. Wrap the rollers with paper towels. This one I have never heard about before. But She wraps her rollers with paper towels prior to using them but she swears by it. Apparently it allows you to smooth the hair out and makes the flat iron step easier and quicker.
6. Use a quality flat iron. We are not advising you to go out and spend a lot of money in a flat iron. But you should get a quality flat iron that won’t get your hair. For best result, get an iron with a temperature gauge. She used a HAI convertible flat from folica.com.
7. Use the brush chase method instead of the comb chase method. To get silky flat ironed hair, a boar bristle brush is best. Each hair stand will be smoothed out and bouncing in shine and volume. Try it!
8. Definitely work in small sections. It might seem time consuming but if you want silly straight hair that will last then this is the best tip of all. Working in really small section reduces the amount of heat applied to the hair because you would only need one pass with the flat iron.
9. Use a heat protectant to shield your hair from the heat. Make sure each strand gets coated with the product but, go light. You want to prevent heat damage and prevent the hair from reverting but you also want bouncy, light hair, so do not use more product than is needed.
She applied Creme of Nature Argan oil gloss & shine polisher as her protectant to dry hair before flat ironing and her hair is amazingly shine and bouncy.
10. Protect all that straightening work when you hop in the shower. First wrap your hair with a towel THEN use a plastic or shower cap. If you do not do this then be prepared to have frizzy hair that reverted quickly. The towel will act as a strong barrier between your hair and all of that moisture in the shower.
Check out the video:
And there you have it: 10 Best Tips for straightening natural hair from Moiyshee! How do you straighten your natural hair?
Originally posted 2014-12-05 15:00:03.