I swear I do not make any of this up, when I read the story about a woman contracting an infection from her beloved hair tie I was shocked. I love those things myself!
A Kentucky woman recently got an infection from what doctors are saying is her glittery hair tie that she tends to wear on her wrist and in her hair. Audree Kopp noticed a huge bump growing on her wrist and after going to the doctor and getting antibiotics the bump continued to grow.
It got so bad she ended up doing emergency surgery to remove the mass and later found out it was her glitter hair tie that caused it.
Like Audree most of us like to have hair ties on our wrists in case we decide to put our hair up, and we often wear them in our hair. It seems as if we cannot take for granted the material[s] used to make the things we put on our body because our skin and scalp are always open to receive any harmful chemicals.
According to People.com:
Doctors suspect that bacteria from a glittery hair tie got under Audree Kopp’s wrist through her pores and hair follicles last week, causing three types of infections, WLKY reports.
“I didn’t believe it at first,” Kopp told the station. “I thought that it was a spider bite, or something else, not from wearing hair ties(affiliate link).”
Dr. Amit Gupta at Norton Healthcare told the station that he had to make an incision and drain the fluid from an abscess on the back of Kopp’s wrist.
“Be careful,” Gupta warned. “I mean, you can’t put all these hair ties(affiliate link) around the wrist particularly because it can cause problems to the skin, it can cause infection.”
Well you do not have to tell me that twice! Did you ever think something as simple as a hair tie could cause an infection and surgery? This life we live!