Recently one of our writers shared her experience with her stylist sneaking a relaxer into her hair on purpose and many of us admitted to not ever hearing about any such thing.
Well here is another case which involved a woman in Georgia.The lady went to a salon in Marietta, Georgia and asked for a blowout. The blowout included shampoo, conditioning, and comb/blow drying.
The style came out great but when it came time for her curls to revert she noticed something a bit off. Her curls were stick straight like they had been relaxed.
She called the salon and they told her it was normal for some relaxer to be added to the shampoo and that this procedure is mainly for customers with natural hair.
As you can imagine the pictures and the story of what happened to this young lady went viral and she has threatened to sue the salon.
Since this was the second case that we have heard about we came up with a short list of tips to help you avoid these situations.
1. Bring your own product to the salon
2. Research the salon and ensure that they are dedicated to the practice of taking care of natural hair.
3. Go with your gut, if things look suspicious, there is no reason for you to stay there, just walk away.
4. Only go to reputable salons even if you have to wait for an appointment. Sometimes your hair is worth the wait. Pick a reputable salon and get your hair done the correct way.
5. Ask the salon up front if they practice adding relaxers to shampoo
If this happens to you do not be afraid to share your story and contact the salon. Unfortunately you will have to remove the relaxed portions of the hair or transition all over again.