Taking a straight break, shouldn’t be stressful by any means but should be literally a time to enjoy your hair while limiting the need for manipulation.
If you are not quite ready to wash your hair and you want your style to go past the 7 day mark while still looking fab, here are some tips that will help you achieve just that.
1. Set the right foundation – The process of straightening will ultimately determine how long the style lasts. If using a blow dryer* use a blow dry cream that will help to loosen the hair a bit so that the amount of time used to dry the hair is reduced and frizz is eliminated. Sometimes using a flat brush or a round brush can also help to get that straight look you are trying to achieve when using the blow dryer*.
2. Use heat protectant* – If you decide to flat iron* the hair, always use a good heat protectant. Finding the right one will require some research but the good thing is that there are plenty to choose from.
3. Use an anti humectant – An good anti-humectant will keep your hair straight for unbelievable lengths of time. They literally repel moisture from penetrating your strands hence preventing reversion.
4. Protect and sleep – Be even more conscious about using a satin pillow case when sleeping or covering your hair with a satin scarf. The scarf and pillow will help the hair retain it’s moisture and won’t leave you with straight dry brittle strands prone to breakage. With that said try to set the hair somehow prior to sleeping. You can opt for wrapping the hair or doing pin curls anything that will help maintain the style as you sleep.
5. Eliminate the grease – Sometimes the hair can get greasy or stringy looking after a long time. Instead of adding a water based product to ruin the straight style, opt for a dry shampoo that can reset the hair and eliminate some of the gunk that may be weighing the hair down.
Originally posted 2013-01-30 15:00:46.