To make 3 tablespoons of Chebé/Chewé powder:
- 1 tablespoon of Mahalaba
- ½ teaspoon of cloves
- ½ teaspoon of incense resin (Misik)
- 1 teaspoon Humra perfume (Frankincense)
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite natural oil or hair butter
- Ingredients are roasted ground out, then passed through a sieve to produce a powder
- Each woman chooses her favorite butter to add to the powder to complete the mixture.
- The hair is wet or moisturized using water.
- The powder and fat/butter mixture is added alternately from root to tip until entire head is saturated.
- Next, comes the protective styling. No intricate braids and twists, the women just install jumbo plaits and wrap the hair into a huge bun at the back of their heads to protect the ends. This style is kept for five days until it’s time to repeat the routine.
Now let’s try to fake the recipe with the ingredients that we have to hand.