I watched Jennifer Hudson’s video for her new song “walk it out” the other day and loved how she featured a neighborhood salon in it. It wasn’t a fancy salon or anything it was like one of those beauty shops right on the corner with the guys hanging and chatting it up outside. We recently did a post about the decline of the neighborhood salon, and it made me realize how much I kind of miss it. If you think back, what are some the things you remember that made a traditional black neighborhood salon cool? Here are 5 things we came up with, comment below and come up with a few more
1. The conversation – You know its going to be all the way turned up in the salon with the varous conversation. Men are always on top of the list, kids are usually next and everything you can think of except for hair.
2. Your Stylist is your confidant – Sometimes its just you and her or him in the salon, and I can’t tell you how many times I personally find myself telling my stylist something I probably wouldn’t tell my parents. For some reason they have great advice when you are going through something. Of course not everyone is the same, but we all know ‘that stylist’ that we can tell anything.
3. Feeling fly – If you have a great neighborhood salon chances are when you leave you will feel crazy fly when you leave the salon, its as if they have magic potions in there or something.
4. Our daughters love the salon – When you take your little girl to the salon for the first time, we guarantee she will be addicted. After all little girls just want to do what mommy does so this is great mommy and me time.
5. Its apart of the community – The salon is where all the women in the neighborhood meet up to just connect and their support not only helps a small business but it keeps people employed as well.
We cant deny the value of the neighborhood salon, we love that Jhud brought it back in the best way she knows how, check out her new video below, old boy is easy on the eyes too!