You probably read this and thought “14 steps to do what? You’re crazy!” But bear with me. Twist outs are a great low manipulation style that can last between washes. A nicely defined twist out can be worn for almost any occasion and can be the beginning of a bunch of gorgeous natural styles (two strand bantu knots or perm rods(affiliate link) anyone?)
Before we can even think about trying something more elaborate, we have to bring it back to the basics. The Natural Sistas take it back to square one and share 14 easy steps (some of which you may already know) that can define your twist out and make it pop!
1. Do this style on damp hair– our hair is more fragile when its totally wet. Lock in moisture using the LOC method after washing (liquid, oil, and cream), and then let your hair air dry for a few minutes. Then you’re ready to get started!
2. Section your hair– Sections are so important because they make the entire process easier. As said in the video, make sections large enough for you to make 3-4 twists at a time.
3. Use a good detangling product- If your hair is already detangled from your wash, then the next few steps should be a breeze. However, use a good detangling product such as Kinky Curly Knot Today(affiliate link) or Karen’s Body Beautiful Leave in Conditioner(affiliate link) that will help those annoying tangles melt away.
4. Gently finger detangle– Finger detangling should always be the first step. Gently finger detangling will remove tangles and knots without breaking off unnecessary strands of hair.
5. Use a detangling brush- Or a fine tooth comb, or a tangle fix. Just make sure that your hair is smooth, especially at the roots. This shouldn’t take that long because you already finger detangled well. Brush from the ends and move upward towards the roots of your hair. There shouldn’t be any knots in your hair and your roots should be smooth.
6. Section your hair…again– Separate one section into smaller sections. The smaller your twists, the more defined the final result.
7. Apply your styling product- This is up to you. Use whatever styling product you normally use, but make sure that it has decent hold. If you want this style to last for a few days while still remaining soft, you can use a combination of gel and a product like Shea Moisture(affiliate link) Curl Enhancing Smoothie.
8. Start twisting at the root- This part is so easy because you already detangled your hair to the root. Most curly girls suffer from shrinkage, but twisting from the roots will help stretch the style out a little bit (extra tip: Use bobby pins(affiliate link) to stretch the twists out once you’ve finished, this will give you a much more elongated look)
Originally posted 2014-07-01 15:00:44.