Uh huh, it’s going to be one of those list articles that are not about hair advice but they are fun to read (and write) all the same!
If your own hair cannot be described as long yet, take comfort that very soon you will be nodding your head in agreement. These are both my personal observations and things that I’ve heard mentioned by other long haired sisters.
So without further ado, you know that your hair is getting longer when . . .
1. You get weave checked by your own family (every time you go to visit!).
2. White girls ask you for hair advice.
3. You can barely fit your ‘fro into your little car.
4. Old women stop you in the streets to tell you about how their own hair was as long as yours back in the day.
5. You jump when you catch a reflection of yourself (especially when you are wearing big hair).
6. You jump when you hair brushes against the small of your back/lower arm/elbow, when it’s straight.
7. The weight of your hair allows it move while you are walking.
8. Your hair starts getting in your mouth when it’s windy.
9. Your hair still looks great after the wind has blown it out of place.
10. Your hair sticks to your lip gloss.
11. You have to flip your hair out of your bra/top/coat when you are dressing – I almost cried tears of joy when I first did this!
12. You start to understand why white girls tuck their hair behind their ears.
13. You do that head upside down trick to get volume at the crown – I can’t tell you how long I waited to do that!
14. People automatically assume that your hair is a weave and you get asked ‘What hair is that?’
15. Your hair keeps getting caught in your seatbelt.
16. You keep getting food in your hair.
17. When your ponytail actually hangs instead of sticking out.
18. Your stylists starts to use the largest size rollers on your hair.
19. You start considering layering your hair or cutting bangs.
20. You keep on slamming your hair in the car door (Be careful of this, it’s a real hair ripper).
21. You can inspect your ends easily without the use of a mirror.
22. Your shed hairs are way longer than a standard size ruler.
23. You don’t bother adding extensions to your box braids because your hair is just as long anyway.
24. Weaves start to cost a fortune because you have to buy 20″ and upwards otherwise your leave out hair will be longer.
25. You can no longer roller-set your own hair because your arms cannot stretch that far!
26. You wish they made bigger/longer turbie twists coz you can barely get your hair in any more.
27. You have to order gallon sizes of conditioner because those puny normal size bottles are finished in two washes!
28. You are no longer impressed by those you-tuber’s hair you used to stalk at the beginning of your journey.
29. You sit on your hair – A great problem to have in my book!
I could go on an on! What other things have you noticed as your hair starts to get longer?