Natural hair care is not as hard as you’d think. With the variety of natural hair care products and hairstyles available to you, you can make a different hair statement everyday.
Ok, that was a mouth full. But when you think about it, you spend your days stressing over how straight you can get your hair. In essence what you are doing is bringing more damage to your scalp than you can imagine.
Your hair, your crown and glory in its natural state, has a direct connection to the coils of the universe. That natural spring and coil that you have in your hair, is what protects your scalp from the elements.
But the health of your hair is important to you, which means that there are a few things that must be done in order for you to continue to have your natural sheen.
Six Natural Hair Care Tips:
- When you wash your hair, make sure that you are using a natural hair care product that does not contain any detergents. These ingredients strip the natural oils from your hair and cause it to dry out.
- How often should you wash your hair? The answer becomes an individual natural hair care question, because each of us has a different lifestyle. And this is what will determine how often you wash your hair. The key is to wash your hair often enough to remove excess dirt and odours but not so much that it strips your hair of its natural oils. Only you know what this means for your hair.
- Instead of brushing your hair, try massaging your scalp. This action will stimulate the flow of blood circulation and not cause your hair to be pulled and tugged by brushing it to hard.
- Use a wide tooth comb. If you’re sporting an Afro or braids, you’ll need to comb through your roots. If your comb is too narrow you’ll do great damage to your hair.
- For sister locs, regular locs and braids, you have the advantage of beautiful hair styles that will show off your diverse texture. But the same rules apply when it comes to keeping your hair clean and moisturized.
- A hot oil treatment is a great way to care for natural hair. It will act as a moisturizer to your scalp and add a beautiful sheen to your hair.
As African American women, we have this fixation about long hair. It has been my personal experience that when I finally stopped putting chemicals in my hair and decided to go natural, that’s when I saw the greatest hair growth in my life.
Your experience might be different, so pay close attention to the things that you do to your hair, and here is where you’ll find out what works and what doesn’t work.
Wearing your hair in its natural state will definitely be a turning point in your life.
Dedicated To Your Natural Hair Care!