When The Installation Of Hair Extensions Goes Horribly Wrong

274934_630x354
Sometimes we just want to save a little money, and for some of those times it just isn’t worth it. A college student in Houston tried to save some money on her hair extensions, and it ended up costing her a ton of pain and hair loss.

Human hair extensions generally cost a pretty penny, but on the black market you can get the hair for a fraction of that cost. You can save even more money if you just get someone to do you a favor on the install. Brittney Dever who is just 22 years old told her local station in Houston that she took the cheap route and did just that with her installation:

“I went to someone’s house. She installed a weave-in cap in my hair,” Devers said.

She paid $60.00 and got some beach waves. Two weeks into enjoying her new hair, she had an infection:

“Two weeks later, I was lying down, and there was blood on my pillow,” Devers said.

When she started removing the hair, her real hair came out with it, and she said it smelled so horrible she was nauseated. She went to a salon for help because we can imagine she had no clue about what was really going on with her hair. The owner of Natural Resources salon Tamika Fletcher, who Brittney consulted with, said she couldn’t believe the pictures when she saw them.

“It seemed like the weave was pulled too tight and opening her scalp and exposing her scalp. I think there could have been a possibility of the utensils being unclean or unsanitary.”


Her hair had become filled with infection, with a sever abscess on the crown of her head. Now Dever is partially bald and never wears her hair out, and has been going to a reputable salon to get help with her hair.

The college student had a warning for her fellow weave wearers:

“Go to a salon, that’s sanitary, that’s clean. It’s worth spending the extra money because you get what you pay for. Going to someone’s home to get the extra service may not be the best idea. You can end up losing instead of gaining,” Dever said.

In this case it would seem as if the extensions were the cause of the problem – at least that’s how the news has reported it, but it was more about where she got her hair done than the hair itself. The warning is the same, make sure you get your hair from a reputable place, and get it installed at a reputable place. We say spend the money, or leave the weave alone!

About Petra


Hi I'm Petra Lomax , a staff writer and editor for BlackHairInformation.com . I am Jamaican born and raised and moved to the United States in my early 20's. I have a BA in Political Science and International relations as well as an MBA and a Masters In Project Management. I love travel, culture and anything that has to do with creative media and business.

About Petra


Hi I'm Petra Lomax , a staff writer and editor for BlackHairInformation.com . I am Jamaican born and raised and moved to the United States in my early 20's. I have a BA in Political Science and International relations as well as an MBA and a Masters In Project Management. I love travel, culture and anything that has to do with creative media and business.

ENJOYED THIS POST? JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER!

Sign Up Now




62
Leave a Reply

avatar
52 Comment threads
10 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
40 Comment authors
Love Nurture GrowRHStudioSundrall McgriffFrankie ParsonJasmine Lockett Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
RHStudio

All of my clients hair grow out, and very well from installs… I can’t see how this happened.

And I also encourage them to wash their hair weekly

Love Nurture Grow

Whoa! I’m sorry that happened to her.