11 replies, 4 voices Last updated by  Petra 5 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Tweety58
    Participant
    @Tweety58

Ok I have been getting a relaxer since 2010 and im away at uofi in college and am a sophomore. So since 2012 when i started college I have been experiencing shedding and breakage but it has gotten worse this year to the point where my hair is always on the floor and its whole strands of hair. Even running my fingers through my hair results in hair coming out. My hair is still thick and i get a relaxer every 6 to 7 weeks. For the past couple of months I have been deep conditioning my hair with softee cholesterol deep conditioner and it helps make my new growth manageable and straightens my hair with just blow drying. I have began washing and dc every week, use leave in conditioner every other day and seal my ends and oil my scalp with either olive or argon oil yet the breakage is still continuing. I need help with a better regimen so that I can stop losing hair I have read so many blogs and things so im on information overload.
    Please help im wondering is it my relaxer because of i dont have a lot of new growth maybe 1/2 inch each time at the most. Or should i just wear a protective style like senegalese twists for awhile and hope it fix itself? :confused:

Petra
    Participant
    @petralomax

Ok I have been getting a relaxer since 2010 and im away at uofi in college and am a sophomore. So since 2012 when i started college I have been experiencing shedding and breakage but it has gotten worse this year to the point where my hair is always on the floor and its whole strands of hair. Even running my fingers through my hair results in hair coming out. My hair is still thick and i get a relaxer every 6 to 7 weeks. For the past couple of months I have been deep conditioning my hair with softee cholesterol deep conditioner and it helps make my new growth manageable and straightens my hair with just blow drying. I have began washing and dc every week, use leave in conditioner every other day and seal my ends and oil my scalp with either olive or argon oil yet the breakage is still continuing. I need help with a better regimen so that I can stop losing hair I have read so many blogs and things so im on information overload.
    Please help im wondering is it my relaxer because of i dont have a lot of new growth maybe 1/2 inch each time at the most. Or should i just wear a protective style like senegalese twists for awhile and hope it fix itself? :confused:

Honestly love it seems as if you are doing everything right, you have a simple regimen that works especially in school. I will say that I prefer shedding over breakage because breakage tends to indicate that your hair is dry or not moisturized or a variety of things.. Shedding on the other hand is normal in the sense that we all lose about 100 hair per day. Excessive shedding can absolutely be caused from a relaxer that is too strong or if you are relaxing way too often. Are you able to stretch a little bit longer, say 12 weeks or so?

To help with excessive shedding you can try black teas rinses.
    https://blackhairinformation.com/hair-care-2/hair-treatments-and-recipes/tea-rinses-benefit-hair/

https://blackhairinformation.com/by-type/natural-hair/black-tea-rinse-shiny-locs/

So try that and try stretching your relaxer to see if that makes a difference.

let me know

Petra

Tweety58
    Participant
    @Tweety58

thanx idk about the black tea rinsing but i will definitely start stretching my relaxers. im getting one this week which is the 7th week then i will be going till march or april with a protective style at some point in between.

Petra
    Participant
    @petralomax

thanx idk about the black tea rinsing but i will definitely start stretching my relaxers. im getting one this week which is the 7th week then i will be going till march or april with a protective style at some point in between.

Ok wonderful, come back and let us know how it is going 🙂

CurlyVirtue
    Participant
    @CurlyVirtue

Hi Tweety58, one of the things that help significantly reduce my shedding was massaging my scalp daily for 3-5 minutes. I sometimes put oil lightly on my fingertips and just massage my scalp. It is so relaxing and it definitely helped with making my hair healthier. Let me know if this works for you! Happy Hair Day!

Petra
    Participant
    @petralomax

Hi love,

You do have a regimen, sometimes we know the answer befor we even type the question, because you are doing everything right you just need a few tweeks!.. The first one is defin the relaxer, you relax waaaaaay too often so unfortunately you might have experienced some over processing which leads to shedding and breakage. you defin need to double the time of your stretch, 12 weeks at least to give your hair a chance to settle down. Ofcourse you will have more new growth but in that case you can incorporate ways to blend your new growth with your relaxer, or even do the protective style as you suggested.

Another thing I would suggest is using more protein in your regimen, relaxers need protein because the chemical breaks and weakens the strand to give you that straight sleek look. Protein helps to build the strand and fill in those gaps that are created from manipulation and chemical processes. Aphogee has a great conditioner and leave in you can try, or you can add an egg to your deep conditioner, or you can use plain old greek yogurt weekly for shine. I love kitchen stuff because they are all natural and sometimes your hair responds quickly to them.

Trust yourself you know what you are doing.. I have a few posts I would like you to read, just focus on the important parts, and build your own regimen based on your hair and what you can accomplish while at school. Once you have your regimen, try it, if your hair responds well then stick with it.

Just a note ***For the protective styles that involve added hair, maybe wait a bit on those so that you can gain some ground on strengthening your hair because the added stress will only cause more issues. Also try laying off the heat for awhile, or if you will blow dry do the tension blow dry method on a cool setting. Or just air dry!..

here are the posts:

https://blackhairinformation.com/by-type/relaxed-hair/yahya-aka-pocahontas-shares-relaxed-japanese-straightened-hair-journey/

https://blackhairinformation.com/growth/moisturizing/moisturizing-your-new-growth-in-relaxed-hair-to-avoid-breakage/

https://blackhairinformation.com/by-type/relaxed-hair/5-easy-steps-to-longer-healthier-relaxed-hair/

Good luck love, check in and let us know how its going!

Petra

Tweety58
    Participant
    @Tweety58

I use softee chloesterol deep conditioner, creme of nature argan oil leave in and profectiv mega growth daily leave in stregthener. I deep condition every week and i use the leave in every 2 days and the stregthener twice a week before bed. I seal my ends with argan oil and oil my scalp lightly with it when needed. I know the Dc and the stregthner have proteins in them. Is this too much protein? I count the leave in as moisturizer.

Tweety58
    Participant
    @Tweety58

Thanx, but here is how my hair looks, sorry about the lighting also.[ATTACH=CONFIG]108[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]109[/ATTACH]
    Snapshot_20140130_1.JPG
    Snapshot_20140130_11.JPG

Petra
    Participant
    @petralomax

Thanx, but here is how my hair looks, sorry about the lighting also.[ATTACH=CONFIG]108[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]109[/ATTACH]

Honestly love I have never used any of those products but i did check out the ingredients for them, I like the strengthner and it is water based so it would be a great leave in. The protein levels are fine. The only one I am not a fan of is the softee and a deep conditioner. IT would be better especially if you are looking at moisture to get a cheap conditioner that is water based with healthier ingredients, and add to it. Like add an egg, or mayo or some oils..

Or like I suggested buy the aphogee. Relaxed hair needs protein because it is basically a strand that has been degenrated to the point of it being perfectly straight. So to thwart some of that damage you need good proteins to keep your hair healthy. You look so cute! thanks for sharing the pics… read the posts I gave you. and still keep your same regimen just think about replacing the softee.

Petra

Tweety58
    Participant
    @Tweety58

Hi, as an update, I haven’t had a relaxer since janurary and its now April. I have been wearing my hair down only air-drying with no heat. Using clip ins and blending the hair with braiding since its wavy and now I have had crocheted senagalese twists in for 3 weeks. Before the twists I did notice my hair was very manageable except the new growth considering its been a few months. Also, the one time I blow-dried my hair I noticed my hair retained more moisture than when I air dried it. But anyway my goal is to wait till the end of May for another relaxer.

Petra
    Participant
    @petralomax

Hi, as an update, I haven’t had a relaxer since janurary and its now April. I have been wearing my hair down only air-drying with no heat. Using clip ins and blending the hair with braiding since its wavy and now I have had crocheted senagalese twists in for 3 weeks. Before the twists I did notice my hair was very manageable except the new growth considering its been a few months. Also, the one time I blow-dried my hair I noticed my hair retained more moisture than when I air dried it. But anyway my goal is to wait till the end of May for another relaxer.

Great love, let is know how it works out.

Coily Lana
    Participant
    @Coily Lana

If it’s falling more than usual than definitely take notice. You probably are stressed out! The same thing happened to me while I was in college. You are doing everything right. Try to find ways to relax and calm down. Stress can chip away at iron also, which can drain your energy as well as cause health issues, including excessive shedding. Start taking some multi-vitamins and also speak with your doctor.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.