2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Petra 5 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

SimplyUniqueBTS
    Participant
    @SimplyUniqueBTS

As of a week and a half ago, I have been inspired to start a HHJ, however I am overwhelmed by all the information I have come across web-wide. It has been 7 weeks since my last touch up at a Salon, i have about 1/2 an inch of new growth and wish to stretch until my birthday July 18th. I am NL and striving to be full APL by July 2014 (my ultimate length). I am not in a position to purchase some sulfate-free shampoo just yet, but i have been using Tresemme naturals (which claims to have lower sulfates…ASL) and Miracle 7 (which has SLS) so both have sulfates, and I been using them up to this point, if I continue to use them as a start in my HHJ will it lessen the health & growth of my journey (until I begin using sulfate-free shampoos)

Petra
    Participant
    @petralomax

Hi Hon, First of all congrats on your HHJ and I totally understand about the wealth of information out there that might be confusing. The best way to start is to make things very very simple for yourself with a simple fool proof regimen and once you determine that it works and your hair is healthy, you can always read and tweak but stick to what works for you. To address the sulfate shampoo, using a sulfate shampoo does not have to be unhealthy or bad for your hair, as a matter of fact many of us always have one in the cabinet because every now and then whether you are relaxed or natural your hair will need a good clarifying. my suggestion is this. – since the sulfates are drying to the hair, if you decide to use it weekly lessen the impact of it by doing a pre-poo before you shampoo. For example- If I decide that every saturday is my wash day and I will be using a sulfate shampoo, on the night before or a couple hours before I will load up my hair with coconut oil and cover it with a plastic cap. The oil cuts the effects of the sulfates and it helps your hair to retain moisture when you are ready to shampoo it. So on saturday I will remove the cap wrt my hair and add the shampoo to cleanse the hair. Then I would follow up with a deep condition, using any moisturizing conditioner (conditioners that are moisture based always have water as the first ingredient) Thats one option Another option is to use the sulfate shampoo every 2 weeks – in the same manner as above. so your month would look like this week 1 – pre poo with oil then shampoo – with sulfate (dont forget you can prepoo with anything you want, oil is just easy) week 2 – co -wash – wash the hair using conditioner only – helps with moisture retention week 3 – pre poo with oil then shampoo – with sulfate week 4 – co-wash ** your pre poo doesnt just have to be oil, it could be a full on deep condition if you like, I love using kitchen stuff to pre-poo with and I always have a protein – here are some easy recipes here are some links to help you build a great regimen a Good regimen for relaxed hair moisturizing new growth hope this helps Petra

SimplyUniqueBTS
    Participant
    @SimplyUniqueBTS

Thank you, I’m going to give it a spin…. I couldn’t access the easy recipe and moisturizing new growth link, but the regimen link worked.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.