5 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Marley Marley 5 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Shane
    Shane
    Participant
    @Shane

Hey,

I have been natural all my 17 years but took it upon myself to take batter care of my 4b/4c hair starting this year January. The longest my hair ever grew was 8 inches! Since i started my healthy hair journey i have been protective styling every 2 week and i do a wash at the end of the 2 weeks and I use the LOC method to moisturize my hair and during the 2 weeks when my hair is in protective styles I spritz my hair with my spray bottle. My problem is my hair is breaking like crazy! It sheds a lot and breaks twice as much. I try to be very gentle with my hair and i also only finger detangle. My hair also hasnt grown since I started in January and it even looks a bit shorter :/
    Please  help,

Desperate.

Edit: I have also done protein and hot oil treatments on my hair but my hair still ends up feeling really dry

Petra
    @petralomax

Hi hon,

It can be hard to pin point what the source of the breaking is, but we do know that your hair is under some sort of stress somewhere. It could be the protective styles, depending on what you are doing.

If you are puting in braids or twists with added hair and causing stess, that could be counter productive.

Why dont you switch thing around a bit.

1. Even though you did not mention what your protective style was maybe we can lay off og that for awhile and style your hair weekly.

2. This will sound crazy, but give yourself a good trim, get rid of any damaged ends or splits

3. Co wash at least once a week and deep condition once a week. Use shampoo once per month. If you need to clarify then by all means shampoo before the end of the month but you need to deep condition your hair every time you wash it.

4. Deep condition with a moisture based formula one week, a protein based formula the next week, then repeat. This way your hair is getting moisture and strength all at the same time.

5. Stick with the loc method

6. stay away from heat, figure out gentle ways to style your hair

7. Most important, eat well and exercise, the moment we start treating our body well in entirety everything starts to work well including hair.

Bonus – try to find great quality products and use the stuff you have in your fridge. Deep condition with plain greek yogurt and honey. Mix cheap conditioner with coconut milk and oil, avocado masks are great as well (all of these are protein and moisture based and can be used weekly)

Hope this is helpful love

Petra

Petra
    @petralomax

Hi hon,

It can be hard to pin point what the source of the breaking is, but we do know that your hair is under some sort of stress somewhere. It could be the protective styles, depending on what you are doing.

If you are puting in braids or twists with added hair and causing stess, that could be counter productive.

Why dont you switch thing around a bit.

1. Even though you did not mention what your protective style was maybe we can lay off og that for awhile and style your hair weekly.

2. This will sound crazy, but give yourself a good trim, get rid of any damaged ends or splits

3. Co wash at least once a week and deep condition once a week. Use shampoo once per month. If you need to clarify then by all means shampoo before the end of the month but you need to deep condition your hair every time you wash it.

4. Deep condition with a moisture based formula one week, a protein based formula the next week, then repeat. This way your hair is getting moisture and strength all at the same time.

5. Stick with the loc method

6. stay away from heat, figure out gentle ways to style your hair

7. Most important, eat well and exercise, the moment we start treating our body well in entirety everything starts to work well including hair.

Bonus – try to find great quality products and use the stuff you have in your fridge. Deep condition with plain greek yogurt and honey. Mix cheap conditioner with coconut milk and oil, avocado masks are great as well (all of these are protein and moisture based and can be used weekly)

Hope this is helpful love

Petra

Profile photo of Shane
    Shane
    Participant
    @Shane

Hey Petra,

Thanks soo  much for replying I really appreciate it!
    As for my protective styles I usually do twists or cornrows I hardly ever put in extensions and i dont wear weaves.

Again thanks a lot and I will be sure to do what you recommended.

Profile photo of Tanya22
    Tanya22
    Participant
    @Tanya22

Hello

My natural hair is thinning out and breaking very quickly. I’ve been taking Adipex the weight loss pill for two months now.what can I do to stop my hair from thinning out and breaking, besides eliminating the Adipex ?

Thank you in advance

Tanya22

Profile photo of Marley
    Marley
    Participant
    @Marley

Your hair’s rough. You need a good moisturizer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.