6 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  shaniqua43 4 years, 10 months ago
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

crystiality
    Participant
    @crystiality

Hi guys, I BC’d Jan 26th 2013 and i dont know whether i am combing my (1cm, 1″) TWA too much i am reading all this info but i think i am doing something wrong after the BC my hair was super dry so i used a clarifying conditioner and co-washed i DC 2 days later but i dont know if my hair is getting what it needs ppl say dont touch when wet, but i still take an extra minute or 2 to make sure everything gets in am i fussing too much i just want an easy twa regimine that makes me feel secure that i am doing right by my hair oh and i think i am a 4b/4c

shaniqua43
    Participant
    @shaniqua43

When my hair was at the TWA stage I combed it because otherwise it would have looked horrible. Once it’s long enough to stretch with twists or to do finger coils, you can stop combing daily then.

MyNewHair
    Participant
    @MyNewHair

Hi Crystiality, I made the BC Jan 11th and love it , its so true there is a lot of info out there and it is a bit overwhelming too , being new to this and following my daughter who became natural last year, I was amazed at her hair growth and the simple regime she followed , I will give you my simple regime- My daughter told me to keep it simple, it will take a few weeks to notice your hair pattern – so I co-washed with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and used it as a leave-in and then sealed it with olive oil and let it air day and that’s it – I co-wash once a week and wet it every morning( I don’t touch it just let the hair soak -up the water ) with water and since I wear a hat because of the cold weather here in NYC, I wear a plastic cap under my hat and remove it when I get to work, now my curl pattern has set in and I love it. As new Naturals I would love to keep in -touch if you like so we can share our journey I hope this helps . Its my simple method, don’t fuss with your hair too much and you will see the results .

crystiality
    Participant
    @crystiality

Hi thanks for the response and also the regimine advice i keep combing out my twa but i was told to leave it be but i was just worried about it getting matted/tangled

crystiality
    Participant
    @crystiality

@shaniqua43 thanks for that bit because it looks so much better combed i want curl definition but i accept i cant get it yet cause its in a weird phase right now so just concentrating on getting it moisturized and healthy Lord knows it needs moisture

Loren
    Participant
    @Loren

Hi Crystiality, I can understand your frustration. When many people big chop then tend to co wash my often and deep conditioner my often too.Maybe you could try co washing 3x a week and deep condition with a moisturizing deep conditioner 2x a week and see how your hair responds.

Coily Lana
    Participant
    @Coily Lana

Hi guys, I BC’d Jan 26th 2013 and i dont know whether i am combing my (1cm, 1″) TWA too much i am reading all this info but i think i am doing something wrong after the BC my hair was super dry so i used a clarifying conditioner and co-washed i DC 2 days later but i dont know if my hair is getting what it needs ppl say dont touch when wet, but i still take an extra minute or 2 to make sure everything gets in am i fussing too much i just want an easy twa regimine that makes me feel secure that i am doing right by my hair oh and i think i am a 4b/4c

It will take some time to determine your real hair texture. Actually combing it interrupts the natural curl/coil pattern, but at this stage you don’t need to worry about that.

It’s quite common for people to complain that their hair is dry initially. I would love to know which products you are using because that is essentially what will cause the problem.

You said you used a clarifying conditioner? I think you meant shampoo? At any rate, here’s a few suggestions:

1.If this is your first time starting the co-washing method (Curly Girl method), make sure you did a shampoo initially that is silicone free but has sulfates. You need to do this before you can start co-washing. Without this step, you will have dry hair from silicone build-up.

2. Once you start co-washing, make sure none of your products have silicone in them.

3. If you are a 4 range lady and use styling creams, heavy gels, ets.. eventually you will need to shampoo, so make sure that’s a part of your regimen. It is optional, but trust me when I tell you many of us that have been at this for a few years eventually turn back to regular shampooing (no less than monthly, or bi-weekly to weekly). You’ll also have better wash and go’s because all the product will get removed and you’ll have a clean slate to fully receive all the benefits of whatever product your putting on your hair. Caking it up over time, it won’t do anything! You’ll have dry and frizzy and people telling you “that’s what 4 hair does”. 🙂 No, 4 hair that has build up does that. 4 hair that’s cleaned regularly and conditioned does not. 🙂 Even if it’s bushy, it shouldn’t be frizzy bush, if that makes sense.

4. When you do Step 3 (Shampoo) do a pre-poo to buffer the effects of the shampoo. This will protect your hair from moisture loss. Use a cheapie conditioner (i.e.-Tresemme Natural nourishing conditioner, Suave Naturals, etc…) + oil. I use coconut oil and make sure all oils are extra virgin and cold-pressed. I’m using Nutiva’s brand sold at most supermarkets and health food shops. It makes a HUUUGE difference. First time I purchase some cheap crap from Trader Joe’s and my hair felt like crap when I was done. I thought I couldn’t use coconut oil. Nope, you just have to make sure your oils are of good quality. They smell fruitier and they’re less oily because you are getting as much nutrition as you can out of them.)

5. Choose a moisturizing conditioner, obviously :). Those cheapie conditioners don’t get it for me. I reserve those for the pre-poo referenced above. 3C’s swear by them, however. You’ll have to experiment here to see what works for you. Same with everything else. I use Giovanni’s Smooth as Silk conditioner. It’s really good but it ain’t cheap for the amount that’s in the bottle. 🙁 However, because I pre-poo with the cheapie conditioner, I don’t need to use as much. 😀

6. Use the L.O.C. method to seal in moisture. Choose a leave in conditioner, your oil of choice (i.e.- coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, Jamaican black castor oil, are all popular choices). Then follow up with your moisturizing cream on DAMP hair. Do this while your hair is damp to help seal in the moisture. Also, I don’t use towels or even t-shirts, which the Curly Girl method does advocate. I find with my 4 hair anything that absorbs moisture away from it promotes frizz. So I wring my hair dry. You can smooth it down against your scalp to remove excess water at this stage before applying your LOC products.

7. For definition use styling gels: They offer the best hold for our hair. Creams won’t do ish unless you’re twisting. Ecostyler is popular as is Wetline, Clairol Herbal Essence set me up or totally twisted gel, and Garnier Fructis Pure Clean styling gel. Rake the gel through your hair at this stage. Do not use combs. Try to get in the habit of using your fingers because it will help your hair clump. There’s a man on youtube (he learned these techniques from women :)) that has short hair (not at your stage thought) but it gives you a good image of what you can achieve with your hair. He is definitely 4b-4c, around that range.

I hope that helps with moisture retention and curl definition. Some things you may be able to omit at this stage, but as your hair grows you may find this more relevant.

Oh, and you know to only sleep on satin or silk. 🙂 Good luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.