Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Edna Bey
    Participant
    @Edna Bey

I’m a type 2 diabetic and never really had a problem with my hair except for a small bald spot that I had as a child from a lye relaxer.  Anyway, in the last 2-3 years, there has been steady decline in my hair.  I’m trying to see if has anything to do with a medication that I’m on called metformin.  I had always been able to put my hair in a ponytail, but I can’t even do that now. Would you know anything about the effects of the medication on my hair loss or how I regrow it?  I am 57 years old and I really don’t like wigs. My sister keeps pushing me to wear one and I will only do it for very special occasions.  I would really like some help if you can.

Thank you for your time.

Hair Designs By Felicia
    Participant
    @fstrayhorn241

Hi Edna,

My name is Felicia and I am a license hairstylist. I was scrolling through this site and came across your question. I know its a little late but this is my professional opinion

I do know that medication cause vitamin deficiencies.  Which means when taking medications it removes essential vitamins that we need to help our hair grows. I recommend taking hair growth supplements. Hair Growth Supplement will regrow, restore, repair and fight against hair loss. The best hair growth  supplement is NouriTress Hair Vitamins Plus.

I hope this was helpful.

If you have any question please do not hesitate to message me.

Alma Ruddock
    Keymaster
    @admin

Hi Edna, type 2 diabetes is a lifestyle disease which means that it is caused by what you are eating day in and day and this is what causes the vitamin deficiencies that many diabetics have. Metformin actually makes diabetes control better, in and of itself it doesn’t cause hair loss but a poor diet certainly does. Taking vitamin supplements at this stage will only mask the cause of the poor hair growth rather than treat the cause.

I would suggest that the quickest way to resolve both the diabetes and the hair loss which would lead to a drastic reduction or complete removal of the medication would be to change your diet. Low carb diets, which are popular these days work by treating the symptoms only. This means that the insulin resistance that causes diabetes continues to get worse while eating low carb. From what I have seen, the best success rates in reversing type 2 diabetes and all associated symptoms comes with a whole food plant based diet.

This post here will give you an overview of the best foods for your hair https://blackhairinformation.com/general-articles/your-hair-is-what-you-eat/ and if you want to learn more about plant based diets then I would suggest you try the forks over knives website here: https://www.forksoverknives.com/category/success-stories/#gs.m75gk0Y

Atoysha Toy Wells-Bassene @

it may not be your meds. it could be the fact that you are a diabetic. High blood sugar levels can impact the health of every system in your body including your hair or hair follicles. high bld sugar levels damage small blood vessels
    and the damage means
    less oxygen and fewer nutrients to the hair follicles which can cause hair to become thinner.

Just getting older can cause thinning as well. have you thyroid checked in case it has not been.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.